Formula Thunder Twin

Ducbert

EMRA Executive Member
Grats on the 'Duc!

I hope it's not this unit, heard it's got some hard miles on it!

Attachments

• Duc.jpeg
    Duc.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 20

sv-racing-parts

749 in the SV Racing Parts Cup

my old 749 race bike is still around Saskatoon , might be up for sale contact Dad's sled and cycle they can track it down

:) Hi Steve, you need to pick up the 749 yourself and campaign it in the SV Racing Parts Cup, It would be awesome to have you riding in the Cup,

Bring your crew from Saskatchewan and their bikes with you,

See you soon,

Best regards,
Blair

Racin Jason

???

I'm just curious... If we are talking twins, why no mention of a KTM?
I understand this is an old thread, and bike has been purchased but for the sake of discussion, why all the Duc love?
Don't get me wrong, I have lusted after a Ducati for as long as I remember, but I am in love with the KTM. All the benefits of the twin configuration with out all the quirks (read; extra money)of a Duc. Especially on our track. I might get killed on a HP track, but then again it corners so well maybe not. We'll see what Chris Fillmore and Taylor Knapp bring to AMA SBK this year.
Is it because the KTM is too much cash? Although if we are talking about big Ducs, they aren't cheap either. Especially after you "fix" the quirks.
Is it the fear of an unknown machine? Because I have found it to be reliable and easy enough to get parts for.
Or maybe brand loyalty, like I said I've wanted a Duc for a long time. You gotta admit though the KTM is a rarer machine right now.
Anyway just wondering and bored so...
Lol

cyclecrazy

Your question is fair and deserves more than just a simple answer.

I sat on a KTM RC8R in Red Deer and fell in love with the leg room back in mid October. The sticker price for the race spec is just too much for me to pull off at this point, as it would have required me to sell one of my other bikes. One of those is a committment to the Significant other to ride together, and of course My fat Crusier is a bike that all my girls demand I keep.

Second is the fact I know from sitting on Jamie's (now mine) 1098 and I could see little knee pain on a season of that.
Of course you are correct that new out of the gate Duc cost the same as the KTM. There are simply more used Ducs than RC8 Race spec bikes available. LAst part of the equation is once the 1098S is done its track duty, I can keep for street or sell to other buyer to mitigate racing costs.

My biggest desire is to be able to throw as much effort physically, mentally and financially to be competitive but mostly to enjoy as much smiles per hour as possible. Without you an your KTM to chase as a goal that would be less possible.

JDS

Price & availability. Where would U find a used one?
Fillmore & Knapp had there moments last yr. So did Eslick & May on the EBR.
I dont think I seen any 1198s or 1199s racing AMA last yr?

Planepower

I'm just curious... If we are talking twins, why no mention of a KTM?
I understand this is an old thread, and bike has been purchased but for the sake of discussion, why all the Duc love?
Don't get me wrong, I have lusted after a Ducati for as long as I remember, but I am in love with the KTM. All the benefits of the twin configuration with out all the quirks (read; extra money)of a Duc. Especially on our track. I might get killed on a HP track, but then again it corners so well maybe not. We'll see what Chris Fillmore and Taylor Knapp bring to AMA SBK this year.
Is it because the KTM is too much cash? Although if we are talking about big Ducs, they aren't cheap either. Especially after you "fix" the quirks.
Is it the fear of an unknown machine? Because I have found it to be reliable and easy enough to get parts for.
Or maybe brand loyalty, like I said I've wanted a Duc for a long time. You gotta admit though the KTM is a rarer machine right now.
Anyway just wondering and bored so...
Lol

Seems both Ducatis and KaTooMs are priced equally, not sure what else is competitive in the open twin class, what else is there?
Ducatis are much more plentiful, used or new.
I have a 2003 SV1000, perhaps that could be a Formula Thunder machine?
I'm sure it has a 200lb handicap on a Duc or KTM, could i get a head start? lol

Lehbs

Seems both Ducatis and KaTooMs are priced equally, not sure what else is competitive in the open twin class, what else is there?

Run the daytona 675. sure you gotta deal with the straight line hp disadvantage, but more than enough to keep up through the rest of the track against those big displacement cheaters. ;) Remember, formula thunder can have 3 cylinders.

Fireman

The 675 was penned as a "cheater bike" for a couple years lol.

It is a very very competitive bike for that class. Do it.

Lehbs

I would but that race is run right in the middle of sportbike, and 600ss. I'm too fat to run 3 in a row.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
The 675 was penned as a "cheater bike" for a couple years lol.

It is a very very competitive bike for that class. Do it.

On paper the 675 looks extremely competitive, plus held the formula thunder lap record for a while. And if I recall its only 2 in a row you get a 15 min brake or else it would be 3 in a row. Its deff doable, but start training lol.

Last edited:

Dean

Yeah, I think it's a cheater bike. Thunder should be for big piston twins. The 675 has been homologated to compete in the 600 Supersport class in the AMA and other places, essentially making it on par with an inline-4 600 in terms of power, characteristics, etc. It's certainly more like an inline-4 than a twin.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Yeah, I think it's a cheater bike. Thunder should be for big piston twins. The 675 has been homologated to compete in the 600 Supersport class in the AMA and other places, essentially making it on par with an inline-4 600 in terms of power, characteristics, etc. It's certainly more like an inline-4 than a twin.

I agree with the power band and design of the bike, but I think any MODERN heavyweight twin has more of an advantage than the 675.

Lehbs

I have one and actually agree with you. I don't think the d675 or other inline tripples should be in the thunder category. Similar to how in the CMRA the gsxr750's were allowed in the middleweight races.

JDS

Originally Posted by Dean

I agree with the power band and design of the bike, but I think any MODERN heavyweight twin has more of an advantage than the 675.

OMG. Cheater bikes. How about the use of V4s in the Formula Thunder?
Might be some serious competition in that class next yr. Could be lots of thunder :).

Fireman

The idea was to showcase motorcycles with engine designs of a unique and different nature.

The 675 was designed to race against 600s much the same way that the rc8, 1098, panagale, and rsv4 are designed to race against inline 4 1000s. They all have a unique sound, feel and soul to them that the inline 4 crowd can't quite muster. This is what makes this class special.

I miss my rc51 all of a sudden :(

sand.man

I wouldn't call it a cheater bike, as it has no clear advantage over something like a 1098, 848, RC8, etc. It's just slightly less thundery.