new to emra

Snakes709

Hey everyone. My name is Damien Brown, im new here. I own a 2007 ZX6R that i been riding since May 2009...i know, not much riding time. But i learn quickly. And i been moding my bike. Everything is being done over this winter/spring.

Jumper Mod - Done
Puig Windscreen - Done
K&N HiFlow Filter - Done
Intergrated Tail Lights - Done
Fender Eliminator - Done
Kleen Mod w/ Ivan Block Off Plates - Done
Servo Motor Eliminator - Needs to be installed (requires after market exhaust)
Full Akrapovic Exhaust
Vortex Sprockets (-1/+2)
Speedo healer
Power commander III - On the way
Ignition Modual
Teather Kill Switch
8000K HID's
Dyno Tune
Stearing Damper
Rotors
Brake Pads
SS Brake Lines

I been to the drag strip a quite a few times and did ok for being my first time actualy going over 10,000rpm on my bike. But i wanna get into some real racing on the track and learn more skills on the bike and learn what the bike can really do. I was looking at the same and trying to understand some stuff. I see under "EMRA Race School" there is a class called "Full Race School" and then 2 sub classes for level 1 and 2. I'm guessing for full race school is both of them and is 3 days total...is that correct? Or you could do level 1 class and then level 2 another time? Sorry for the newbish questions, its just im in the army and i wanna register soon as the dates are released but i could be called away on a excerise or something so im just trying to plan things out. And then once im done the classes i can do weekend races? Also for the classes and weekend races at the stratotech raceway is it 100% required to lock wire all the bolts and whatnot on the bike and remove all glass parts, ie. headlights and whatnot?

Last edited:

mojobie

For the race school (assuming it'll be the same for 2010 as it was when I took it in 2009), there is an info session on Friday evening for everyone regardless of which class you're taking. Then on Saturday it's level 1 and Sunday is level 2. To compete in EMRA race events you have to take and pass both level 1 and 2 (which is the full race school). You can take them at separate times but since the school is only offered once per year, if you only took level 1 in 2010 you would have to wait till 2011 (or later) to take level 2 in order to actually compete in a race.

In regards to lockwire (not 100% sure, feel free to correct me anyone), it is not required for the race school (though you do have to change out your glycol coolant for water and approved additives). You also don't have to remove glass and such for the school, but you do have to tape over them if they are not removed (there is a list somewhere on bike prep for the school). Race weekends are a different story; you must comply 100% with the EMRA regulations in order to compete. When I was lockwiring for the first time it helped to take a look at a fully prepped race bike (I went to Vicious Cycle, nice people and you can get race supplies there too).

Hope this helps.

Snakes709

thanks. Well in that case when it comes time ill sign up for the info/level 1 and 2 classes. I'm pretty sure josh or someone at echo cycle should be able to help me out. Not putting down vicious cycle but i been to echo cycle a few times.

YZF1000jon

Then print off the rulebook from the homepage, and bug us with as many questions as you can come up with. That's what we're here for.

jetfixer15

If you have questions I can be found on the DIN at work through Outlook. I'm the only Cluff in the CF so I will be easy to find on the global address list. Might make it easier for you if you need quicker answers. I've built many race bikes and have been racing for a number of years, the most recent with the EMRA. I dodged the Olympic security detail.....for now.

Dean

While we are not the EMRA, you can also come visit their sister organization called the WMRC when you are here in Vancouver at our Bike Show this January. Our rules are slightly different, but tech for bikes is quite close. Besides, bike shows are cool.

Snakes709

If you have questions I can be found on the DIN at work through Outlook. I'm the only Cluff in the CF so I will be easy to find on the global address list. Might make it easier for you if you need quicker answers. I've built many race bikes and have been racing for a number of years, the most recent with the EMRA. I dodged the Olympic security detail.....for now.

Thanks. Still unsure how far i want to go with this, if i really want to get in depth with racing or just make it a weekend thing. I rarely have access on the DIN but if i can get on i might shoot u a email. I didnt have a say in the matter fot the olympics...got posted in from gagetown, was hoping i was going to a tank squadron but they stuck me in dismounted recce doing QRF. But now that i have surveilance ops quals. they are sticking me in a mounted recce in whistler

By the way heres my bike...In the process of upgrading and replacing my plastics since my gf was nice enough to try and clean our 370z and accidently smashed the car into the bike.
IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Last edited:

Juan42

Welcome Damien ! The race school is run in early May, the exact dates for 2010 are still TBA. Level 1 meets the minimum requirement to qualify a person to race(given they pass the course), and includes the Friday evening classroom session along with basic skills, on track on Saturday. Level 2, is optional, and provides more advanced skills in topic areas such as body position, trail braking, passing etc, and is run on the Sunday. We do our best to provide a low student to instructor ratio, so that each student receives a significant amount of one on one feedback. Regarding bike prep, yes, it is mandatory that each racer's bike(and riding gear) meet the minimum requirements of the rule book(see the link on the home page), and that includes items such as safety wiring of critical fasteners, drain bolts etc. Each race weekend, all bikes and riding gear must pass through tech inspection to ensure they meet the minimum requirements of our rule book.
One thing you may want to consider if you choose to take up racing(or even track days for that matter), is having a dedicated race/track bike. Few racers have not had the experience of crashing, and most more than once. So, given it sounds like you have or will have alot of time and money invested in your street bike, it may be worth buying an older, race prepped bike, that you won't have to worry about as much in the event of an off track excursion.
In any case, ask away. We're all great enablers here.:D

Hey everyone. My name is Damien Brown, im new here. I own a 2007 ZX6R that i been riding since May 2009...i know, not much riding time. But i learn quickly. And i been moding my bike. Everything is being done over this winter/spring.

Jumper Mod - Done
Puig Windscreen - Done
K&N HiFlow Filter - Done
Intergrated Tail Lights - Done
Fender Eliminator - Done
Kleen Mod w/ Ivan Block Off Plates - Done
Servo Motor Eliminator - Needs to be installed (requires after market exhaust)
Full Akrapovic Exhaust
Vortex Sprockets (-1/+2)
Speedo healer
Power commander III - On the way
Ignition Modual
Teather Kill Switch
8000K HID's
Dyno Tune
Stearing Damper
Rotors
Brake Pads
SS Brake Lines

I been to the drag strip a quite a few times and did ok for being my first time actualy going over 10,000rpm on my bike. But i wanna get into some real racing on the track and learn more skills on the bike and learn what the bike can really do. I was looking at the same and trying to understand some stuff. I see under "EMRA Race School" there is a class called "Full Race School" and then 2 sub classes for level 1 and 2. I'm guessing for full race school is both of them and is 3 days total...is that correct? Or you could do level 1 class and then level 2 another time? Sorry for the newbish questions, its just im in the army and i wanna register soon as the dates are released but i could be called away on a excerise or something so im just trying to plan things out. And then once im done the classes i can do weekend races? Also for the classes and weekend races at the stratotech raceway is it 100% required to lock wire all the bolts and whatnot on the bike and remove all glass parts, ie. headlights and whatnot?

Juan42

One correction to note to the below. Successful completion of Level 1 is the minimum requirement, to be eligible to race in the EMRA. Level 2 is recommended, but optional.

For the race school (assuming it'll be the same for 2010 as it was when I took it in 2009), there is an info session on Friday evening for everyone regardless of which class you're taking. Then on Saturday it's level 1 and Sunday is level 2. To compete in EMRA race events you have to take and pass both level 1 and 2 (which is the full race school). You can take them at separate times but since the school is only offered once per year, if you only took level 1 in 2010 you would have to wait till 2011 (or later) to take level 2 in order to actually compete in a race.

In regards to lockwire (not 100% sure, feel free to correct me anyone), it is not required for the race school (though you do have to change out your glycol coolant for water and approved additives). You also don't have to remove glass and such for the school, but you do have to tape over them if they are not removed (there is a list somewhere on bike prep for the school). Race weekends are a different story; you must comply 100% with the EMRA regulations in order to compete. When I was lockwiring for the first time it helped to take a look at a fully prepped race bike (I went to Vicious Cycle, nice people and you can get race supplies there too).

Hope this helps.

Snakes709

Welcome Damien ! The race school is run in early May, the exact dates for 2010 are still TBA. Level 1 meets the minimum requirement to qualify a person to race(given they pass the course), and includes the Friday evening classroom session along with basic skills, on track on Saturday. Level 2, is optional, and provides more advanced skills in topic areas such as body position, trail braking, passing etc, and is run on the Sunday. We do our best to provide a low student to instructor ratio, so that each student receives a significant amount of one on one feedback. Regarding bike prep, yes, it is mandatory that each racer's bike(and riding gear) meet the minimum requirements of the rule book(see the link on the home page), and that includes items such as safety wiring of critical fasteners, drain bolts etc. Each race weekend, all bikes and riding gear must pass through tech inspection to ensure they meet the minimum requirements of our rule book.
One thing you may want to consider if you choose to take up racing(or even track days for that matter), is having a dedicated race/track bike. Few racers have not had the experience of crashing, and most more than once. So, given it sounds like you have or will have alot of time and money invested in your street bike, it may be worth buying an older, race prepped bike, that you won't have to worry about as much in the event of an off track excursion.
In any case, ask away. We're all great enablers here.:D

Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting a 2nd bike set up mainly for the track. That was something i was thinking about today. What is every riding 600cc or 1000cc on the track? im guessing 600's but i could be wrong. Also someone told me before when i met up with them that stratotech raceway and emra only allow full leather gear and not textie...is that correct? If so that sucks in a way because i spent $300 on my jacket and then a month ago spent $240 on my pants and they are both textie

Last edited:

Juan42

For racing, it's leathers only, no textiles. A one piece race suit is recommended. A two piece leather suit is acceptable as long as the pants and jacket have a full length zipper that joins them together.
There are a whole range of bikes being raced, including 2 stroke gp bikes, motards, big twins, SV 650's, 600's and liter bikes. 600's are well suited to Stratotech, and are a better starting point for racing than a liter bike which is much less forgiving. The SV 650 is another good bike to start on and it has it's own class (SV cup) at the intermediate level. Being down on power compared to a 600, and SV also places more emphasis on building skill to make a fast lap, without being able to rely as much on power to make up for mistakes.

Last edited:

friendlyfoe

If you're not in a position to put together a dedicated race bike, track days are a nice alternative. You wont be racing against other riders, but if you're mostly interested in learning and improving your skills, this is the place to be. Ontrackperformance also runs classes during said track days, and i learned a TON from justin and his instructors this last season.

At the track days there is no need to push the limit as youre not competing against anyone, so as long as you dont ride over your head you should be able to keep the shiny side up.

mojobie

One correction to note to the below. Successful completion of Level 1 is the minimum requirement, to be eligible to race in the EMRA. Level 2 is recommended, but optional.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

If you're looking for less expensive leathers, a lot of the bike shops have clear-out sales around this time of year (don't know if they have or have not yet), I got my suit from Echo for $300 last year, and while it's not the best it worked for me when I went down.

Snakes709

Once again, thanks for the info....fireman from ontrackperformance already pm'ed me about the school. I think ill take the classes and just go to track days and not really race against people. Thinking of doing that for a couple reasons....1. im still quite new to riding, 2. Money....i have the money to do some light modifications to my bike but not buy another both, for the reason that any extra money i have is being put in a account to twin turbo project on my 370z. One other question. I noticed on ontrackperformance you can take a class for suspension, what is the cost for that? Suspension is kinda of a iffy thing for me due to the fact i dont really know much about it for bikes.

Hi Snakes,

My name is Norm Dickson. I'm one of the EMRA exec members and race school/track day instructors. I'm also ex-army-Engineers. If you're with 1CER you likely know a friend of mine, W/O Rob Ballantyne.

If you have any questions or would like help prepping your bike you can give me a call @ 780-968-1358(H) or 780-975-4287(C). I'll be glad to help you out.

You only have to complete level 1 to secure a race license. However, I recommend taking level 2 also because we are able to cover more topics(ie. trail breaking) and we pick up the pace for level 2.

Welcome to the EMRA and also to Edmonton. Talk to you soon.

Norm

Attachments

• 356193977_cpzAZ-Ti-1.jpg
    356193977_cpzAZ-Ti-1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 29

Snakes709

Hi Snakes,

My name is Norm Dickson. I'm one of the EMRA exec members and race school/track day instructors. I'm also ex-army-Engineers. If you're with 1CER you likely know a friend of mine, W/O Rob Ballantyne.

If you have any questions or would like help prepping your bike you can give me a call @ 780-968-1358(H) or 780-975-4287(C). I'll be glad to help you out.

You only have to complete level 1 to secure a race license. However, I recommend taking level 2 also because we are able to cover more topics(ie. trail breaking) and we pick up the pace for level 2.

Welcome to the EMRA and also to Edmonton. Talk to you soon.

Norm

Yea im with the Strathicona's so i dont know him..lol. I'll be taking level 1 and 2...since i done know what trail breaking is, im sure i could find out easy if i search, but i havent gotten around to that. My power commanderIII just came in today so i just uploaded a basic map since i dont have all my upgrades yet and going to install and see how the bike runs.