Rule Change Proposals

Dean

Agree with the tailbone coverage. It would probably be a bit subjective given the variations in design, and individual torso length etc. Good comment, something we ought to consider in a rule proposal.
Also, I agree with the medical form requirement...another rule change proposal.

The one part I left out of the rulebook post I made:

6.5 All competitors must carry a copy of the “Medical Information and Treatment Authorization Form” (provided by the WMRC) in their leathers, preferably in a small pocket in the chest of the leathers. It is also recommended that the competitors carry their medical insurance plan cards or papers with them in their leathers.

I'll attach a soft copy of our form for your use if you'd like (it's the 3rd page of our application). We print it out each year in a different colour to make sure information on the forms is current. I place mine in a small plastic baggie as the inside pocket of my leathers tends to get moist.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.wmrc.ca/documents/documents/2009WMRCReg.pdf

I can't attach it as a PDF to this post as the maximum PDF allowed size is under 20K.

Dean

I would really like to see reinforced engine covers mandatory. We have seen small crashes shut down our track for a hour during race day, leaving a unsafe and unpredictable surface for weeks/months afterwards. For a small amount of money you can install covers (or build them )

We require them on most bikes. Supermotos don't require them, but everyone else does. We also can fine up to $500 for oiling the track if they did not meet our requirements for case covers. We've not had to fine anyone that I'm aware of at Mission.

kawasaki

tech rules

The helmet fit test would help to prevent guys from bringing someone elses helmet to tech which I have seen guys do when their helmet was snell 2000 for instance. Also a loose helmet is no good. All it takes is put the helmet on and shake the chinbar to see if the helmet moves on the guys head.
I also agree with Justin about the engine covers, I think it is actually in the rule book just not enforced.
I also think that registration and tech could open an hour earlier to get things going and allow more time for delays through the day or finish earlier. anyone from out of town might appreciate finishing earlier.
Calgary and Mission both start an hour ealier.

Juan42

Thanks for the clarification Dean. The intent of WMRC's rule on this is exactly what we're looking at proposing, possibly with some further stipulations around meeting specified standards and level of coverage.

No, I use a soft (no plastic shell) protector and it certainly passes tech. The intent is that the built-in tiny foam pads that are in most leathers are not acceptable. It must be a separate unit.

Juan42

Thanks for the link Dean. I have a task to make up a form for EMRA, so that is very helpful. Juan

The one part I left out of the rulebook post I made:

6.5 All competitors must carry a copy of the “Medical Information and Treatment Authorization Form” (provided by the WMRC) in their leathers, preferably in a small pocket in the chest of the leathers. It is also recommended that the competitors carry their medical insurance plan cards or papers with them in their leathers.

I'll attach a soft copy of our form for your use if you'd like (it's the 3rd page of our application). We print it out each year in a different colour to make sure information on the forms is current. I place mine in a small plastic baggie as the inside pocket of my leathers tends to get moist.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.wmrc.ca/documents/documents/2009WMRCReg.pdf

I can't attach it as a PDF to this post as the maximum PDF allowed size is under 20K.

triple

I like the back protector sugestion and the engin cover too...

Here's my 2 bits, I want the Aprilia cup OPEN. Meaning not "spec" . Don't know if this has anything to do with EMRA...

I just like to spend my money on bikes, that's all :p

--How about a 675 class? lol

YZF1000jon

Should we call it the Cheater Bike Open? :D
Not all bikes have engine cases that stick out and touch the ground, which means case covers may not be available or do anything if home made. It's not a bad rule, but how do we make exceptions or allowances?

jetfixer15

Not all bikes have engine cases that stick out and touch the ground, which means case covers may not be available or do anything if home made. It's not a bad rule, but how do we make exceptions or allowances?

I know on my SV650 the engine cases have never been scraped and that bike has been on its side a few times now. The v-twin engine is pretty narrow and my frame sliders do a good job. I know there are aftermarket reinforced side case covers out there for it though. I think it would have to be an all or nothing rule otherwise people will try and justify why they don't have one which may be allowed and cause a subsequent oil on the track scenario.

jetfixer15

To quote the 2009 Parts Canada Superbike Championship Rulebook:

CHAPTER 10: GENERAL COMPETITION EQUIPMENT RULES

12. ENGINE

H) Aftermarket side covers are mandatory when available; when aftermarket covers are not available, a combination of frame sliders and/or reinforced covers will be required.
I) Competitors must ensure that the engine case side covers on their machines are as sturdy as possible and use case guards where available.

Planepower

Im all for the back protector - after only acquiring one for the last 2 rounds - i feel naked without it. But sadly, i would have to decline on a mandatory chest protector, for personal choice (it wont fit in my current leathers). Not that im against more protection, im just trying to save myself extra costs on another set of leathers - perhaps it is something to have implemented for new racers to have immediately, and for exisiting racers to have made the upgrade after a set amount of time.

Fireman

To quote the 2009 Parts Canada Superbike Championship Rulebook:

CHAPTER 10: GENERAL COMPETITION EQUIPMENT RULES

12. ENGINE

H) Aftermarket side covers are mandatory when available; when aftermarket covers are not available, a combination of frame sliders and/or reinforced covers will be required.
I) Competitors must ensure that the engine case side covers on their machines are as sturdy as possible and use case guards where available.

That is exactly the rule I was going off of. Now if there are not cases that are commercially available, there are many options to make your own case gaurds. Consideration of our track and it's pristine surface should be on the forefront of peoples minds. It also helps the club stay on schedule and may save another rider a injury at a later date as well.

eric92

I guess after all the years of racing in Calgary and having to have tech inspection on the spine protectors, I figured it was law here too. Especially due to the fact that we initially adopted their rule book when the club first started up in 2001.

Yes Juan, a back protector is a good premise.

Racin Jason

Good Ideas

I agree with both sudgestions of mandatory back protectors and mandatory case covers.
One other thing I have mentioned before is "shark guard" type chain protectors. For those of you that don't know what I am talking about, its a small fin looking devise, mounted to the bottom of a swing arm, that prevents your fingers or toes getting sucked into a spinning rear sprocket.
This is a very cheap and a very easy to fabricate, insurance against someone losing a finger. I'm not sure but I think most new bikes have swing arms that have the chain pass through them and probably wouldn't need this type of protection but the bikes that do should have them.
With regards to the chest protector, I don't really think that is necessary. Don't get me wrong, wear all the protection you can afford, but there are very few scenarios where they are a benefit and I know I will never wear one unless I have too.
I was a little shocked to find out that some people don't wear back protectors as well. Mine has saved me countless injuries and FOR SURE saved me a broken back when I had my recent get off in Calgary.

mojobie

Here's my 2 bits, I want the Aprilia cup OPEN. Meaning not "spec" . Don't know if this has anything to do with EMRA...

Also, why not open it up to other low HP/displacement bikes as well, i.e. Ninja 250, Hyosung 250R, and CBR125? I know not a lot of people run these, but I was having some good battles with Josh Dickson on the RS125 vs. my Ninja 250 when we ran together in the lightweight sportbike category.

Eric Swayze
#249R

Fireman

I thought the lightweight class was for those bikes.

We do. The point of the wildrose cup is to make a class where all the equipment is the same, and the rider is what makes a difference.

Spec class racing is done to make the class affordable.

mojobie

I thought the lightweight class was for those bikes.

Agreed, but that class allows the 450 motards and the 125 GP bikes, however it's unlikely that an RS125 or a Ninja 250 could keep up with them (at least not without a serious skill differential or some major modifications - I know I can't), but they're not too far off in comparison to each other.

We do. The point of the wildrose cup is to make a class where all the equipment is the same, and the rider is what makes a difference.

Spec class racing is done to make the class affordable.

If the point is to keep it affordable, there's not too much difference between an RS125 and a Ninja 250...as far as I can tell they're both around $5500 new - I couldn't find a North America price for the RS, all I found was on a UK site where it was ~3500GBP.

Regardless of what happens, I'm still planning on sticking with the Ninja 250 next season (not interested in moving to a bigger bike yet), but it would be nice to have competition, rather than being a 1:16+ pylon :p. If I would have known what I know now when I was buying my 250, I probably would have gotten an RS125 instead, but it's unfortunately too late for that.

Eric Swayze
#249R

jetfixer15

Agreed, but that class allows the 450 motards and the 125 GP bikes, however it's unlikely that an RS125 or a Ninja 250 could keep up with them (at least not without a serious skill differential or some major modifications - I know I can't), but they're not too far off in comparison to each other.

If the point is to keep it affordable, there's not too much difference between an RS125 and a Ninja 250...as far as I can tell they're both around $5500 new - I couldn't find a North America price for the RS, all I found was on a UK site where it was ~3500GBP.

Regardless of what happens, I'm still planning on sticking with the Ninja 250 next season (not interested in moving to a bigger bike yet), but it would be nice to have competition, rather than being a 1:16+ pylon :p. If I would have known what I know now when I was buying my 250, I probably would have gotten an RS125 instead, but it's unfortunately too late for that.

Eric Swayze
#249R

Spec class racing? Enter the SV650. You race with other SV's, it's not blindingly fast (mine has a whopping 71hp), and you get paid contingency from Suzuki Canada in SV Cup (any year SV can be raced for contingency). The SV has been raced extensively so there are lots of race parts for it. A used race ready one can be had for well under $5000. Your moving pylon factor will be reduced too.

The underside chain guard is a great piece of equuipment on the bike. I think it's mandatory in the AMA. Too bad most bikes aren't set up for easy instal of one. I think that's how Daryl Beatie lost fingers in the 1990's when he raced GP 500's.

mojobie

Spec class racing? Enter the SV650. You race with other SV's, it's not blindingly fast (mine has a whopping 71hp), and you get paid contingency from Suzuki Canada in SV Cup (any year SV can be raced for contingency). The SV has been raced extensively so there are lots of race parts for it. A used race ready one can be had for well under $5000. Your moving pylon factor will be reduced too.

My long term plan is to get an SV for the 2011 season (I do much prefer spec racing). There's a lot of things I can do to the 250 to reduce my times, it was bone stock as far as performance mods go as well as being my first season racing I'm sure I can improve as well, I just thought it'd be nice to get more of the different smaller bikes out on the track, even though they're not all that popular.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, if no one ever suggests anything nothing will ever progress.

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

It's the same catch 22 with all the classes other than the mainstream ones. If we had more of the bikes we could create a special class for them/if we had a special class for the bikes maybe more would show up:rolleyes:. It was a major reason for combining Heavyweight/Lightweight Sportsman into just Sportsman this year, 2 classes of 3 bikes each wasn't practical. The best we can do is react to the bikes that arrive to race. How many bikes would there have been this year in your proposed class, just for curiosities sake?