250 Gold Cup

GSmith

Clever. I would kindly request anyone interested in participating in this series that wants to relax the stock exhaust requirement to bring their stock exhaust with them so we can repeatedly beat any protestors about the head with our stock exhausts until they concur...just kidding...kind of.

Same goes for front and rear suspension mods...although getting smacked with a rear shock wouldn't hurt as much as one of those mufflers ;)

Clip-ons and rear sets...easy to change out if they're not allowed.

We'll see what happens in May (Sean will be racing in Chilliwack that weekend) and bring the bike in June if it looks promising.

tcasey87

Justin

I think that the rules are very clear and that the ERMA Gold Cup series is designed to be a true "production" class. I could not find the 2012 WRMC rules on line, but I found the 2011 WRMC rules on line. The WRMC 250 Production class existed in 2011 and there was mention of WRMC 250 Gold Cup. It must have been introduced in 2012, since they now have a 250 Gold Cup and a 250 Production class. Their rules have likely evolved based upon rider interest and discussion.

Although I won't be racing in the 250 Gold Cup this year, I really like the idea of the 250 class. It would really reward no mistakes, ie. you can't make up lost corner speed w horsepower. It would be a class that I would consider in the future. PS. If I bought a used 250 bike w stock exhaust and that is all the money that I was prepared to put into it, I would have no objection to other riders making the following modifications: (a) race bodywork (currently allowed) (b) aftermarket exhaust, power commander, front suspension internals (using stock forks), aftermarket rear shock, rear sets (not currently allowed). But no engine modifications (too much $$$$$ for this class and should never be allowed).

(We have a Honda CBR125 but it has all of the (b) mods, so it would not be legal in the 250 Gold Cup. That is not the only reason that we are not planning to race it in the 250 Gold cup. We can ride our SVs in other classes that will on on grid @ same time.)

I want to make it clear that the purpose of my posts is not to criticize the EMRA rules. My intention was simply to focus attention on the differences between the WRMC approach and the EMRA approach.

I truly respect and appreciate all the work that you, Ian, and all the EMRA executive put into the club. Thanks to everyone.

Earlier on the thread that was some mention of the small Aprilia bike. Is the Aprilia RS125 (two stroke) considered a GP bike? "GP bike" is mentioned in the rules, but not defined. I am guessing that although a "street legal" kit is available, since the Aprilia RS125 comes as a race bike in stock form, that it would be considered as a GP bike.

Kent

Last edited:

Fireman

The rs125 is considered a street legal bike. It is sold in every other contry as a street legal bike and in canada you are a couple of light bulbs and a small wiring harness away from a legal bike. We have seen street legal RS125's in edmonton.

Also, thank you Kent. We are hoping to see some of the smaller bikes make a presence this year as well.

hiener

Just chimming in here.

I raced my ninja 250 last year in the 250 Gold Cup Series, the series races both at Mission with WMRC and Greg Moore Raceway (Mini Bike Track) with PCMRC. There is also a production 250 Class with WMRC that only races at Mission.

Think of the gold cup as a parallel series with rounds held at Mission with WMRC (4 last year, I think it was 8 or 9 total rounds in the Gold Cup)

Last year, exhaust rules were simple, had to be a stock exhaust from any bike and meet the 88db limit at Mission.

I ran a 2011 ZX10R exhaust on my 250r, barely passed the noise limit. But it worked.

This year, rules have been relaxed a little bit around the exhaust. Aftermarket exhaust is ok, but needs to be still 88db, so most aftermarket exhaust especially for the 250 is going to be over that. Little bikes are loud.

250 Class is pretty damn awesome, we had about dozen bikes in the last round and it was a hoot. Tires last all year, I did about 12 Track days and 4 races on same set, without warmers. So it's super cheap class to race, since mods are limited and everyone running 250 class except for that fancy cbr250r posted for sale is on a beer league race budget.

I've dragged 3 or 4 new people into racing via the 250 class, so hopefully the grid is bigger this year.

Last edited:

Dean

...we don't need to meet 78 db when racing at Greg Moore?

Yes, you do. GMR is beside condos and bikes HAVE to be quiet. We had David Vu out last weekend on his CBR250R with aftermarket exhaust and he was kicked off the track a few times and told he was way too loud. Aftermarket exhausts are going to be a MAJOR challenge for the 250 folks.

Dean

let me clarify that post a little. Greg Moore Raceway is a small kart track with a sound limit of maximum 82db. Once over 78, you start to get warnings about your sound levels. Yes, it's quiet. That's why most bikes above 250 cannot pass sound there. 250s are quite iffy too with aftermarket exhausts. You should see the stuff the actual karts have to go through to pass.

GSmith

Do you know how far away the measurement is taken from the bikes?

I measured my son's bike last night with the Akrapovic and it was 86 dBC at 20 ft, 84 dBC at 30 ft and 81 dBC at 50 ft...all above 78 dB.

I'm trying to get a feel if it is possible to get down to the 78 dB limit with anything other than a stock muffler. We're trying to get a baffle arrangement to work which may knock it down by about 6 dB. DB Dawgs can supposedly knock 10 dB out but they also knock down performance.

Dean

If I had to say, I'd say it's between 30 and 40' from the track just past the start finish line at a period of high acceleration down the front straight. Like I said, I seriously doubt that there is an aftermarket product out there that can be made quiet enough. What we usually see are "stock" cans like an 05/06 GSXR 1000 muffler, or an 04 ZX10R muffler made to fit. Those have great flow and enough mechanical baffling in them to quiet the bikes down enough. Dave Vu had a brand new FMF that was nowhere near passing sound on his CBR250R. Remember that they measure at a point of acceleration as well to make sure that people at their loudest.

We measure the same way at Mission. Almost on the limiter, under load.

sand.man

I've done everything I can to make the RSV1000 quiet, but it still sounds louder at idle than a silenced 600. I hope I don't get kicked out :(

Dean

If that's Neil's old bike, then yeah, it can pass sound at Mission. I know he had inserts in there to make it work. Ask him for the tricks. He was really fast on that thing too.

sand.man

If that's Neil's old bike, then yeah, it can pass sound at Mission. I know he had inserts in there to make it work. Ask him for the tricks. He was really fast on that thing too.

Yep Neil's bike. I believe he had Leo Vince pipes with some cone inserts that I actually made for him... I've gone miles beyond that, with some stock pipes that had the cat removed, I installed two perforated cones inside the stock core, re-packed the pipes, and added a screen cone inside the end caps.

It still sounds really loud to me, at idle, but then again I guess it doesn't get too much louder as the revs go up like that of an inline.

Ryno

Yep Neil's bike. I believe he had Leo Vince pipes with some cone inserts that I actually made for him... I've gone miles beyond that, with some stock pipes that had the cat removed, I installed two perforated cones inside the stock core, re-packed the pipes, and added a screen cone inside the end caps.

It still sounds really loud to me, at idle, but then again I guess it doesn't get too much louder as the revs go up like that of an inline.

Do you still have the Leo pipes to put on?

hiener

Do you know how far away the measurement is taken from the bikes?

I measured my son's bike last night with the Akrapovic and it was 86 dBC at 20 ft, 84 dBC at 30 ft and 81 dBC at 50 ft...all above 78 dB.

I'm trying to get a feel if it is possible to get down to the 78 dB limit with anything other than a stock muffler. We're trying to get a baffle arrangement to work which may knock it down by about 6 dB. DB Dawgs can supposedly knock 10 dB out but they also knock down performance.

Akra on a 250? That's gotta be loud. I run my area-p system, and it's way over.

Area-P measures the stock bike @ 5000rpm at over 93db, but different ways of measuring. I remember everyone ran stock pipes last year. And I still think we were over the 82db's, lol