Castrol Track View

DMesher

I took one of our survey vehicles out to Castrol last week to collect high resolution pavement topographical surface data, 3D track LiDAR data and a bunch of 3D and high resolution digital imagery for the track and dragstrip.

We are compiling high resolution models and imagery for the folks at Castrol, but I thought that there might be some interest on the EMRA forum for folks that haven't had a chance to get out to the track to drive the entire circuit in it's current form.

The track is not yet completely finished, (curbing, earthworks, safety gear etc.) and Mike and Rome were scrambling to get things cleaned up for our survey (moving pumps, getting the mud off the track etc.) but I thought I would provide a reduced resolution video made from a wide angle forward view of our 360 degree panoramic camera system so everyone can 'ride' the track. BTW, the track is 2697 meters long for the alignment driven in this video.

http://youtu.be/52mLJ9N2r1E

It will give you a sense of the track layout from last week. I will figure out a way to share some of the 3D models for the track when we get them done.

If the link doesn't work...let me know.

Enjoy,

Darel

Last edited:

Fireman

I took one of our survey vehicles out to Castrol last week to collect high resolution pavement topographical surface data, 3D track LiDAR data and a bunch of 3D and high resolution digital imagery for the track and dragstrip.

We are compiling high resolution models and imagery for the folks at Castrol, but I thought that there might be some interest on the EMRA forum for folks that haven't had a chance to get out to the track to drive the entire circuit in it's current form.

The track is not yet completely finished, (curbing, earthworks, safety gear etc.) and Mike and Rome were scrambling to get things cleaned up for our survey (moving pumps, getting the mud off the track etc.) but I thought I would provide a reduced resolution video made from a wide angle forward view of our 360 degree panoramic camera system so everyone can 'ride' the track. BTW, the track is 2697 meters long for the alignment driven in this video.

http://youtu.be/52mLJ9N2r1E

It will give you a sense of the track layout from last week. I will figure out a way to share some of the 3D models for the track when we get them done.

If the link doesn't work...let me know.

Enjoy,

Darel

You will find that the final placement of the walls will be complete by June for round 1. Work is commencing very soon on it.

DMesher

Justin is correct, the timeline for the final configuration is June. We are scheduled to return to Castrol to resurvey the final track configuration with all (most?) of the finishing work complete with the exception of the final lift of asphalt (scheduled for 2015). The current surface (first lift of paving) was smooth when we surveyed it.

There was a mail out on May 27th from Trayr Gabert ([email protected]) regarding the restrictions that will be used for the Hardnox track days taking place before the final track configuration is achieved. If you didn't receive the email, I'm sure you could send a request for the info to: [email protected]

Fireman

Thanks Daryl. The info from hardnox that was posted looks like this.

"Q: How is the track?

A: We took the opportunity yesterday too go out to the track and check it out. We also were able to talk to the owners. This being a new track means that it is a work in progress. The owners were very receptive to us and will be making changes over the next couple of months. However due to the spring thaw they have not been able to move walls yet. Therefore, for our first event we will have to implement some temporary control measures to slow some corner entry speeds. We will install a mandatory braking zone on the front stretch and a temporary chicane between turns 2-3. We are confident that Castrol will have made the changes in design by our June event and will not need them by then, but in the interest of safety, we must implement these measures for May 10."

It will be a great event as always, and the changes are happening daily. This will be a fun course to run. I'm really stoked to get on it!

retro53

Which walls are they relocating? The whole east end and both sides of the straight??? Wowsa. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

DMesher

I have had some inquiries, so I will post here. For those that are interested, you can get the longitudinal distance estimates from the video for the track segments. Each video frame is recorded with a 5.8 m separation (about 19 feet). So to get approximate distances between points on the track, you just need to count frames between the points.

Darel

Spooner

Which walls are they relocating? The whole east end and both sides of the straight??? Wowsa. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Lots. Please be patient and let Castrol and the Exec get things organized and finalized.

~S