EMRA at Phillip Island 2015

DMesher

Just got back from the Phillip Island Circuit in Melbourne. This track is wide, smooth, allows passing everywhere, flows, and is 4445 meters of FAST! One of the most interesting aspects of the circuit is the wind coming off of the ocean. The mornings were calm, by lunch the wind was picking up and by the end of the afternoon the wind gusts were significant enough that some of the upright riders were complaining about being pushed across and in some cases off the track. Varying winds made the track different everyday, fantastic.

Unfortunately the track itself does not allow any laptimers or cameras on any bikes during track days, so there is no video to share. The California Superbike School has a video for a fast lap of the circuit if you are interested. The link is here:

http://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/pird_video

The track days are provided by MEGA and can include gear and bike rentals (2015 S1000RRs). A track day, with bike (+fuel, tires) and gear is less than AUS$800. (http://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/)

Given the potential for cold weather and rain during the fall I booked 2 days on track just in case I had a rain day (both days were sunny with temperatures of 13-15C in the morning and 23C+ at the end of the day, and local folks were complaining about the cold). Riders are able to get in 60+ laps each day. The MEGA folks include some great people and outstanding racers, many of whom are willing to show you 'a fast line' if you ask.

A fantastic trip, this track should be on everyone's bucket list! I have posted a few shots while on track and a map of the circuit in the Photos section of the forum.

The same folks provide ride days on the Eastern Creek Circuit at Sydney Motorsport Park which I was told is equally spectacular. (http://www.smsprd.com.au/)

Now we just have to wait a few months for Castrol....sigh.

Darel

Attachments

• PI_006a.jpg
    PI_006a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Fireman

Glad to hear you had such a great time Daryl. Too bad they didn't allow cameras. That would be a great place to get a first person video

sv-racing-parts

:) Hi Darryl, you picked an Awesome Crew to ride with and you are right that they also put on great track events at several other Australian tracks,

Hope to see you soon,

Best regards,
Blair

DMesher

I must say that I have gotten a little smarter after last year's trip and did the track days at the end of a longer trip....just in case I wound up on crutches ;)

We rented a house on Phillip Island for a little over a week, and stopped in at a local pizza place a couple of times. When the owners heard our accent and discovered we were Canadian they said they had a nice Canadian young man working for them a few months earlier who was also a motorcycle racer. Bodhi Edie had worked there on the Australia stop of his world tour and wound up doing track days as well.

How's that for a small world....

Darel

DMesher

Glad to hear you had such a great time Daryl. Too bad they didn't allow cameras. That would be a great place to get a first person video

The track actually had a Phillip Island Circuit staff member inspecting each bike for cameras/timers as they were released onto the track. The link I have included from the MEGA/Superbike School is just like my laps...just a little faster :) (the video's lap was 1:43 my pit crew said my fastest was 1:51 on carbon fiber Dunlop Q3 DOT tires).

Darel

Last edited:

sv-racing-parts

I must say that I have gotten a little smarter after last year's trip and did the track days at the end of a longer trip....just in case I wound up on crutches ;)

We rented a house on Phillip Island for a little over a week, and stopped in at a local pizza place a couple of times. When the owners heard our accent and discovered we were Canadian they said they had a nice Canadian young man working for them a few months earlier who was also a motorcycle racer. Bodhi Edie had worked there on the Australia stop of his world tour and wound up doing track days as well.

How's that for a small world....

Darel

:) Small World and Shrinking is exactly right Darel; Too much Fun!!

411ninja

Wow!

Thanks Darel, what a great story to read. It must have been an incredible adventure. I can't wait to hear more!